Happy New Year, all! I can't believe we're only just over a week into 2017 - I've been back at work since the 2nd and haven't yet stopped (SO ready for a day off tomorrow). Despite spending the week oncall, it's been a positive one. I've stuck to my resolutions about a better work-life balance and I'm definitely feeling the benefits. So keeping things cheery, here are some of the little things I've loved this week...
1. The most peaceful of supermarket shopping trips. 9am on a Tuesday morning. Barely any other shoppers, just an army of grocery-pickers making up online deliveries. No radio blaring. No in-your-face Christmas decorations. No crowds, queues or in-the-way trolleys. Just me, my basket and all the shelves fully stocked.
2. The pharmacist who thanked me many times over for sorting something out for a patient who was unexpectedly being discharged that day. While I don't expect to be thanked for every little task I do, it felt good to have my efforts acknowledged for once!
3. This picture. It was one of the first things I saw while scrolling through Facebook on Thursday morning and for some reason it really tickled me!
4. Dinner with the other FY1 doctors. It's great to get together with the others and just remind myself that I'm not the only person still adjusting to working life as a doctor! We went out for curry as a big group, and yes we did talk medicine most of the night but actually it helps to just let off a bit of steam.
5. Saturday evening gym session, followed by a pizza. Because life's all about balance.
6. Spotify playlists. For when I want something relaxing in the background and the radio is just too chatty.
7. A relaxed lunch and coffee break, actually at lunchtime on Saturday at work. The other oncall doctor and I made the most of a quiet period to sit, chat and drink coffee with the only interruptions being simple bleeps that could be dealt with over the phone.
8. Enjoying the daylight on my late mornings. I've been starting work at 11am which means I get to actually see some daylight in the mornings and this always makes the day feel a hundred times better!
What have been the highlights of your first week of 2017?!