This has felt a very, very long week indeed. I worked last weekend, so by Friday evening I was very ready for a break! There had also been a couple of sad cases at work this week, so I've been especially keen to look out for the happy moments instead. And as always, there have been plenty. Here are some of the things I've noticed bring a smile to my face this week...
1. Sunlight through autumn leaves. The bright sunshine was irresistible this morning - I've been trying to make an effort to keep practising with my camera, so I bundled myself up against the cold and headed out in search of scenery. Luckily at this time of year I really don't have to look hard at all!
2. Marmalade on toast. I've been rewatching Downton Abbey and the breakfast scenes always give me marmalade toast cravings! I'm sure it would taste even better if I was having it served to me on bone china plates with a silver pot of homemade marmalade, but I've settled for supermarket own-brand sevrved upon Ikea plates for now...
3. New gloves. Colder weather made me realise that I hadn't seen my gloves since taking them out of my handbag shortly before I went to Cape Town. With no idea where I'd put them, I treated myself to a beautiful pair of green leather ones. And, err, then found my old pair on the same day...
4. A new Netflix series. I hadn't heard anything about The Crown until the day before it was released - but I'm glad I did hear about it! Just the thing I need to keep me occupied now that all I want to do is stay indoors and keep cosy.
5. Yoghurt with blackberries and honey. I've realised I eat blackberries very rarely! But I put some onto my grocery order recently and they've been delicious served on Greek yoghurt, drizzled with a little honey.
6. Pearl barley risotto. So half of the points on this list are food. And what? There's a delicious recipe for a pearl barley tomato risotto in the cookbook 'Jerusalem' and it's one of my favourites. Full of flavour, warming, filling and just the thing on a cold evening.
What have you been enjoying this week?