I had quite a few scraps of leftover fabric sitting on top of my wardrobe just waiting to be turned into something. I've already written about the lavender bag I made, and now I'm sharing this bunting cushion cover. This was a step up from the lavender bag, but is still nice and simple. Like I said before, I'm not much good at sewing, so easy projects are definitely my kind of thing. When all my friends took GCSE textiles and stitched dresses and all sorts of interesting things, I took art- pencils are far less scary than sewing machines!
The actual cover was an old one that had been in our loft for years, and seeing as no one else wanted it, I thought I'd give it a new lease of life with some appliqued bunting. At the moment it's in my room in London, but if I was to take it back to Bristol, it would match the real bunting hanging on my wall!
I began by cutting out a template to make the flags, making it big enough to be able to hem round the edges of each one. I made eight flags altogether. (Ten if you include the ones that went wrong!)
Yeah... those are paper scissors. I was swapping between those (because I can actually see what I'm doing with them) and a pair of sharp dressmaking scissors (because they actually the cut the fabric). Oh the struggles of lefthandedness... (I really ought to buy lefthanded fabric scissors now I think about it).
Saffy helpfully guarding the cushion cover... or claiming it for herself?!
I hemmed some of the flags by hand, and some with the sewing machine. What can I say? I like to mix things up! (Or, more honestly, I still don't really know how to thread the machine and had to wait for my mum to help me. Like all twenty-one year olds, right. Right?!)
Not the neatest sewing, but it looks fine from a distance!
I pinned the flags to a length of ribbon slightly longer than the width of the cushion cover, and then sewed them on. I actually wanted ribbon twice this thickness, but bought the wrong one in the shop...
I then sewed the mini bunting onto the cushion cover. Not the easiest feat with a ready-made cover because this meant having to sew with one hand inside the cover. If you were making your own, you'd be able to stitch the bunting on before sewing up the cover.
She thought she was helping by holding the flags down
As modelled by Saffy... (I did tell her to look happier. She wanted to do a moody shot though)
And that's really all there was to it. I've still got a few little scraps of fabric left, so if anyone has suggestions leave them as a comment!